ZENKIN Igor Viktorovich
Doctor of Juridical Sciences, Professor
(according to “Profile/Business Week” magazine)
- Diploma of a lawyer with the knowledge of foreign language (№ ZV 587387, MGIMO, International Law Faculty, Trade Law Department). This diploma is also the confirmation of the higher linguistic education.
- Diploma of conferral of an academic degree of Doctor of juridical sciences (Doc. Hab.) (Dr № 000296, the thesis was defended in the Diplomatic Academy of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Russia).
- Certificate of conferral of an academic degree of Professor (PR №004987 of the Ministry of General and Professional Education of the RF).
- Diploma of an expert in anti-crisis management (issued by the Institute of Advanced Training of the Russian Academy of State Service at the President of Russia).
- Four internships abroad: in the USA (twice), Germany and Italy.
- Is fluent in English, Spanish and German.Basic knowledge of Indonesian and Polish.Pleads cases before international arbitration courts in the English language.
Practical working experience as legal advisor and attorney (advocate)
- Long-standing successful practice as an independent private lawyer, representative of a foreign law firm in Moscow, head of his own law firm, deputy director of legal affairs of a major state company. Has been practising legal profession since 1998. Registration number in the Register of Advocates of the Ministry of Justice of the Russian Federation 50/1055.
- Extensive working experience as an advocate in economic disputes in Russian and foreign courts. Extensive successful practice in international commercial arbitration courts, acted as advocate in the International Court of Arbitration of the International Chamber of Commerce (Paris), in the Arbitration Institute of the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce, German Arbitration Institution (Deutsche Institution für Schiedsgerichtsbarkeit) (Cologne), in the International Arbitration Court at the ICC of the Kyrgyz Republic, in the International Commercial Arbitration Court at the ICC of RF, in the Arbitration at the Moscow CCI.
- Extensive successful practice in international investment arbitration. Participated as an advocate in examination of six investment disputes before international arbitration courts: twice as an advocate for the government (once as an advocate of the Russian Federation, once as an advocate of the Republic of Kazakhstan), four times as an advocate of a foreign investor (Russian, Kazakh, Canadian, South Korean).
- Successful practice as an advocate in the course of examination of major criminal cases in foreign courts (Norway, France, Germany).
- Positive professional experience as an advocate in the cases related to recognition and enforcement of international commercial arbitral awards in the territory of foreign states.
- Working experience in the European Court of Human Rights (Strasbourg, France).
- Participation in preparation of applications to the UN Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination.
- Advising and preparation of legal opinions on the application of sanctions by the governments of the United States, other states and bodies of the European Union.
- Successful protection of interests of a high-ranking Russian client during mediation in international investment dispute with a foreign state.
- International law, international economic law.
- International investment law and international investment arbitration.
- International legal aid.
- Arbitration courts, including international commercial arbitration.
- Legal regulation of foreign trade (including WTO Law).
- International energy law (Energy Charter Treaty).
- Civil, entrepreneurial law (law merchant), civil (including arbitral) process.
- Full legal support of high-status natural and legal entities.
Hundreds of large clients over the time of practical work, among them:
- Government of the Russian Federation;
- Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan;
- Approximately 10 ministries and agencies of the RF;
- Government of the Kaliningrad Region;
- Government of the Republic of Tyva;
- Transneft, Transnefteprodukt;
- “MiG” and “Sukhoi” corporations, as well as most of other aviation enterprises of the former Rosaviakosmos;
- Svyazinvest, Rostelekom, Svyazstroi Concern, Megafon, Post of Russia;
- “Russian Circus” state company;
- Russian and foreign banks;
- Russian Encashment Association of the Central Bank of the Russian Federation and its Moscow regional directorate;
- Religious organizations;
- Non-commercial and international organizations (among them the Shanghai Cooperation Organization Business Council, Intersputnik, Red Cross system, Union of Artists, Union of Theatre Workers, All-Russian Society “Znanie”);
- High-status natural persons among whom Patriarch of Moscow and whole Russia Aleksiy II; high-ranking officials and heads of state enterprises, entertainment stars, distinguished scholars, high-status business people, their spouses;
- Major international and Russian legal firms.
Some high-profile cases
- The case of captain Petrenko in the criminal court of Norway.The first (principal) advocate of the captain. Captain Petrenko, a Russian citizen, was arrested in the Norwegian port on suspicion of drugs smuggling. The case was widely publicized in Russia and was covered by the primary TV channels on news programs over one year. Petrenko proceeded from the fact that his arrest was a mistake. Result: release of the captain.
- The case of tanker “Nakhodka”. Advocate of the Russian Maritime Register. “Nakhodka” tanker suffered a breakdown near the shore of Japan. An attempt was made to hold liable in the Japanese court the Russian Maritime Register which issued the documents for the ship certifying its seaworthiness and readiness for petroleum transportation. Result: the Japanese court admitted that the Russian Maritime Register was an improper defendant.
- The case of “Sedov” sailing vessel. Advocate of the Murmansk State Marine University (in whose operative administration the sailing vessel was). The sailing vessel was seized in France as part of enforcement of the award of international arbitration in Stockholm against the Russian Federation. Result: lifting of the seizure. The French courts of the first and second instances recognized that the Murmansk University could not be held liable with its property for the obligations of the Russian Federation.
- The case of “Noga” company. Advocate of the Government of RF, corporations MiG, Sukhoi and Komsomolsk-on-Amur Aircraft Production Association, as well as of the Russian Information Agency “Novosti”:
- The airplanes MiG and Sukhoi were seized by the Swiss company “Noga” at the air show in Le Bourget (France) as part of enforcement of the award of international arbitration in Stockholm against the Russian Federation. Result: lifting of the seizure due to immunity of military property.
- The Swiss company “Noga” arrested the accounts of the Russian Information Agency “Novosti” as part of enforcement of the award of international arbitration in Stockholm against the Russian Federation. Result: lifting of the arrest.
- The case of three high-ranking Russian officials in the French criminal court on a charge of “hijacking of the seized aircraft” (MiG and Sukhoi airplanes seized at Le Bourget flew away without authorization from the air show back to Russia. Advocate of the mentioned persons. Result: termination of the case for absence of the elements of a crime.
- The case of the Tashkent Aviation Production Association named after Chkalov (TAPOICh) against the Ministry of Defense of India before International Arbitration Court of the International Chamber of Commerce (place of arbitration – Geneva). Advocate of TAPOICh. A claim for many millions due to non-payment for the delivery of transport aircraft. Result: court victory. Enforcement of the award by the Indian party.
- The case “The Bershaders against the Russian Federation” before the Arbitration Institute of the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce. Advocate of the RF represented by the Ministry of Economic Development. Father and son Bershader initiated a many-millions international investment dispute against the RF represented by the Ministry of Economic Development due to the alleged expropriation of their property. Result: sweeping victory in court.
- The case “MiG corporation against Bangladesh”. Enforcement in the territory of Bangladesh of the award of the International arbitration court of the International Chamber of Commerce (Paris) rendered in favour of MiG corporation. Advocate of MiG corporation. Result: transfer to the account of MiG corporation of the due multimillion amount.
Status of a recognized expert
- Acted as an external consultant to the Minister of foreign affairs of Russia S.V. Lavrov;
- Acted as a legal consultant to the:
- Minister of Marine Fleet of the UdSSR;
- Department of Affairs of the President of Russia;
- Ministry of the Economic Development of Russia;
- Ministry of State Property of Russia;
- Ministry of Communications of Russia;
- Ministry of Justice of Russia;
- State Committee for Fishery;
- Tax Police of Russia;
- Federal Geodesic and Cartographic Service of Russia;
- Federal Agency of the RF for legal protection of the results of intellectual activity for military, special and double use (FAPRID);
- Ministry of Oil and Gas of Kazakhstan
- Prepared numerous expert opinions for Russian and foreign organizations, as well as for Russian, foreign and international courts on topical issues of international and Russian law (including on the instructions of major legal firms);
- Is a member of the Expert Council of the Arbitration Commission of the International Chamber of Commerce (World Business Organization). As an expert has prepared within the ICC a practical guide for business “WTO schematically” (with the methodological support of the Expert Department of the President of the Russian Federation);
- Is a member of the Committee on Trade and Customs Policy, WTO and foreign economic activity of the Union of Industrialists and Entrepreneurs of Saint-Petersburg ;
- Participated as an expert in the work of State Duma and the Council of Federation of the Federal Assembly of the Russian Federation as well as the Public Chamber of the Russian Federation and the Constitutional Court of the Russian Federation;
- Acted as an expert in preparation of the draft Labour Code of the RF;
- Was a member of the working group of the Ministry of Communications and Informatization of the Russian Federation on preparation of the Federal Law of the RF “On Communications”;
- Was a member of the working group of the Ministry of Communications and Informatization of the Russian Federation on development of the Rules for connection of telecommunications network and their interaction;
- Was a member of the working group of the Telecommunications Department of the Ministry of Communications and Informatization of the Russian Federation on development of regulatory legal acts required for implementation of the Federal Law of the RF № 126-FZ dated July 7, 2003 “On Communications”;
- Acted as an expert in the process of drafting of the Law of the Republic of Kazakhstan “On Subsoil”;
- Is a member of the Russian Association of International Law and the Association of the Law of the Sea. Was a Secretary of the Soviet Association of the Law of the Sea.
Status of an arbitrator of international arbitration
Has an experience of exercising the functions of an arbitrator in international arbitration courts under four various Rules. Has been elected as arbitrator 20 times. Is on the lists of arbitrators of three international arbitration courts.
Has served twice on the panel of arbitrators of the international student contest on international commercial arbitration named after M.G. Rosenberg in which dozens of teams from the leading legal institutes of Russia and CIS states participate.
- Has been teaching public law, international economic law and European law in the higher school as professor for over two decades. In particular:
- in the All-Russian Foreign Trade Academy (VAVT of the Ministry of Economic Development of Russia);
- in the All-Russian State University of Justice (RPA of the Ministry of Justice of Russia);
- in the Moscow State Law University (MGYUA named after O.E. Kutafin);
- Has repeatedly delivered public lectures. In particular, in the Law Faculty of Saint-Petersburg State University;
- Has developed tens of educational programs for higher institutions. In particular, he was a scientific supervisor of the program of professional retraining in international economic law in the Law Faculty of Saint-Petersburg State University;
- Has the experience of heading the chair;
- Acted as a thesis advisor to 4 postgraduates who successfully defended their thesis; is constantly invited to the defence of thesis as the first opponent. Was a member of two Dissertation councils for the defence of candidate’s and doctoral thesis;
- conducts on a regular basis trainings and roundtables within the Shanghai Cooperation Organization Business Council, International Business School at the Moscow CCI, Moscow International Higher Business School (MIRBIS), Private Law School “Statut”, etc., inter alia for foreigners (the Swiss, Swedes, Germans, Kazakhs).
Author of over 70 scientific publications:
- 17 textbooks and monographies;
- 9 teaching aids prepared for higher institutions;
- 4 collected books of systemized legislation (in total, nine volumes) with comments;
- over 40 scientific articles.
- “International Economic Law”;
- “International Trade Law”;
- “International Law of the Sea”;
- “International Humanitarian Law”, etc.
- “Foreign exchange controls in RF”;
- “Bankruptcy of commercial organizations”(legal aspects)”;
- “Law of the World Trade Organization”, etc.
Many cases conducted by I.V. Zenkin were accompanied by interviews and coverage on primary TV and radio channels and were covered by other mass-media as well. I.V. Zenkin held press-conferences on the leading grounds of Russia (RIA Novosti, ITAR TASS), he was invited by the TV host Vladimir Solovyev for an on-air interview.
Acknowledgements and awards
For his high professionalism and achieved accomplishments I.V. Zenkin was awarded numerous state decorations and acknowledgements. Among them:
- Two acknowledgements from the Russian Aviation and Space Agency (signed by the General Director of the Agency Yu. N. Koptev) “for the highly qualified assistance in the representation of interests of the Russian Federation and enterprises of Rosaviakosmos in the territory of France”;
- Acknowledgment from the Ministry of Economic Development and Trade of RF and from Minister G.O. Gref personally “for a dignified protection of the interests of the Russian Federation” and “for securing a positive award for the Russian Federation rendered by the Arbitration Institute of the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce”.
By resolution of the collegium of the Russian Aviation and Space Agency I.V. Zenkin was awarded a medal.
Was awarded a medal of the President of the Russian Federation.
Has numerous Acknowledgements from clients and Certificates of Merit from the Bar for accomplishments in advocacy.